Sunday 20 May 2018

A great testimonial statement

Sermon notes from Sunday 20 May 2018 pm
2 Timothy 1 verses 1 - 12

In verse 12 we have what we might call Paul`s testimonial statement.  Paul was in prison writing this to Timothy, whom he had seen saved years before, as a way of encouragement.  Some times we can get down, so rattled but we need to keep our eyes on Christ.  His mind is on a young man in the work of God.  Are we encouragers tonight or do we want to remain as spongers receiving everything and giving nothing out.  Paul`s mind was on Timothy whom he had left in Ephesus.  He knew there were many problems in that fellowship but he wanted to encourage him.  He told Timothy in verse 6 "stir up the gift that is in you."  Have you recognised the gift God has given you because one day he will ask you what you did with it?  Paul said to him "let no man despise thy youth but be thou an example of the believers."  Can people see by looking at us that we know Christ personally?  Paul shares here with Tmothy the greatest secret for every child of God.  Paul uses the word "I" repeatedly, he is not pointing inwards but outwards to Christ.

The I of surrender.  "which I have committed uno him against that day".  Paul is saying he has surrendered his life, given it over to the Lord and is trusting in him.  What are we trusting in tonight?  Think of who you are really trusting in today - in the Lord as Saviour or is there something of myself that I am trusting in?  Man`s problem is the I of self, my thoughts, what I want.  That I we find most difficult to deal with.  To spell sin the I is at the centre of it all.  That is why it is difficult to handle the I of self, the self image, the self ego.  We want to please that day and daily.  The rich young ruler had a lot going for him but there was one thing he did not possess.  He took it to the feet of Jesus, to know with all assurance he had eternal life.  He wanted to know that all was well with his soul.  Is there something heavy upon you heart tonight, that all will be well with your soul, that you might leave the old body behind and your soul will go into the presence of the Lord?  The rich young ruler wanted to know with all assurance.  When it came to giving up his wealth he couldn`t do it because the I was on the throne.  For a long time it was not like that for Paul.  All he had was his own religion.  He would not surrender it to the claims of Christ on his soul.  He fed his soul on his own good works and his knowledge of scripture.  What are you depending on?  Paul said he was circumcised of the eighth day, he was from a Jewish family, born into that.  It was his background.  He was of the stock of Israel, the tribe of Benjamin, the royal tribe.  He had so much to offer, so much going for him.  He was a Pharisee, zealous, had all righteousness of the law.  He was blameless.  No-one could point a finger at him until the Lord reached right into his soul and brought him to his knees on the Damascus road.  God said to "it is hard to kick against the pricks."  This young man was all the time fighting with the Lord.  He stubbornly dug in his heels.  How many times has the Lord spoken to you and you have known that, felt his presence, felt and heard his speaking voice into your heart and you have realised you are not saved and that you need to be saved.  Somehow you said no to the Lord, he has been speaking time and time again.  The Lord was speaking to Saul of Tarsus time and time again.  I have started to break into your life but you have kicked back.  The idea of kicking comes from the thought of the ploughman.  If one oxen stepped out of line the farmer would prod it every time and the oxen didn`t like that and kicked back but each time it kicked it hurt itself.  It is hard to see God`s word speaking to you time and time again and getting up each time not heeding it.  That is kicking against the pricks.  Romans 3 verse 12 "there is none good, none righteous."  Romans 5 verse 8 God loves the sinner.  He loves you with an everlasting love that he would send his only son to die for you.  Have you surrendered to the Lord yet?  Have you come to the cross of Calvary, cried unto him for salvation?  Not asking about some night you put up your hand.  Has your life been transformed and changed?  

The I of subject.  Paul could say "I trusted in the life I lived, the way I behaved, now I am trusting in a person and that person is the Lord Jesus Christ."  His eyes were on the Lord not on himself.  Upon this person who died on the rugged cross to save us from sin.  Now my life is based on Christ alone.  It is not of works lest any man should boast.  The biggest problem man has is getting the I focused on Christ and not on I.  Think of the rich farmer in Luke 12.  I see a man who went out at the sowing time and worked hard, prepared the fields so well and gave God the glory for it but something happened at the harvest time.  He had an abundance of harvest.  Here was the problem - he began to say to himself, 10 or 11 times he used the word I, me or myself.  "What should I do?  The crops have come in in abundance, the barns are so small, I will pull them down and I will build bigger.  I have many years ahead of me."  All the time he was looking at himself.  That was his problem.  God said "thou fool, tonight thy soul is required of thee."  He reminds that man of who he was - "then whose shall those things be."  God calls him a fool because he left nothing for eternity.  He would be a pauper before God when he reached death`s door.  Paul had all the religion he could ever want but he hadn`t salvation.  The king of Babylon Nebuchadnezzar looked around at all he had in his kingdom and said "this is the kingdom I have built, great Babylon for my majesty and my honour."  God reached down and brought him to his knees.  Will you surrender and come to the great I am?

The I of sincerity.  "I know whom I have believed"  Paul had come into a personal relationship with Christ.  When Paul shared his testimony with King Agrippa he was delighted to speak to him.  Acts 26 verse 3 "I know you to be an expert in all the customs and questions among the Jews."  A man who knows all the ins and outs of the laws of the Jews.  Here he is speaking before Agrippa.  Agrippa didn`t share the same conviction.  Before Paul finished speaking Agrippa knew he was not trusting in Christ as Saviour.  Acts 26 verse 27 "believest thou the prophets, I know that thou believest."  King Agrippa looked down at Paul`s feet and said "almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian."  Here was a man and he was looking for sincerity but he didn`t believe in the Christ of the cross.  Almost I could shift my allegiance, set my affection on Christ.  We have come to Christ with sincerity. 

The I for the stand he took.  "I am not ashamed."  The devil uses this very deceitfully.  He knows where to stop in that barrier whenever the Holy Spirit is touching that I in the life of men and women.  When the Holy Spirit is touching men and women hardened down through many years.  The Holy Spirit comes and shows the great need of salvation.  Then the devil says "hold on, how will you ever face your friends tomorrow, how will you face your family?"  So the barrier goes up.  Paul says "I do not care who knows it, all the Pharisees and scribes I knew in those days of my religiousity I want to tell them now I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ."  Would you be ashamed of Christ?  Would you stand up and say something for Christ tonight?  The woman with the issue of blood in the gospels knew the Lord had healed her.  She had tried every doctor for 12 years but found no relief for her ailment.  She realised the Lord was coming down that street.  If I could only touch that hem as he passed by.  She touched the hem and immediately the virtue flowed into her body.  She immediately knew it.  Then Christ stopped and asked "who touched me?"  The disciples questioned this as there were so many pressing in on every side.  That woman has to stand up and say "I touched you, I got healed."  Is that your testimony, can you say with Paul "I am not ashamed for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day."  Come to Christ, make him your Saviour and Lord.  Trust him with everything you have for the salvation of your soul.

No comments: