Sunday 4 April 2021

Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die ...


 LIMAVADY INDEPENDENT METHODIST CHURCH

SERMON NOTES FROM SUNDAY 4 APRIL 2021

JOHN 12 VERSES 20 - 33

This is a very special weekend in the Christian calendar in the world.  We believe the scripture how Jesus came into the world, died on a rugged cross at Calvary, was buried and rose again on the third day and is now seated at his Father's right hand ever making intercession for us.

Notice what it says in verse 24 "Verily, verily I say unto you, except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die it abideth alone but if it die it bringeth forth much fruit."

A principle Jesus is teaching - that God is in control of the whole situation. That it was planned from eternity past.  The Lord was as a seed that is sown.  This is an expression by the Lord by which he wants to grab the attention of his disciples.  "Verily, verily" stop, behold what I am going to say, I don't want you to miss this.  It is of the utmost importance.  We could come into the car park and miss something very important but Jesus doesn't want us to miss it.  The apostle Paul said "For Christ sent me not to baptise but to preach the gospel not with wisdom of words lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect." (1 Corinthians 1 verse 17)  In the cross we see the love of God manifest to us.  "God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life."(John 3 verse 16)  In the parable of the sower a man was going out to sow his seed on the ground.  Jesus emphasised that you have to take heed to what you hear.  There is a lot of teaching going around today that we need to be wary of.  Then Jesus went on to say we also need to be careful how we hear.  Lydia in Philippi was able to understand the word of God and accepted it and as a result was saved.  Jesus was speaking of his death and he wants to grab the attention of his disciples.  Verse 27 "now is my soul troubled and what shall I say? Father save me from this hour."  The thought of a cruel agonising death on Calvary was not far from his mind.  Then notice what he says "but for this cause came I unto this hour."  It was for this very hour I came into this very world.  The people would hav been familiar with the principle of Christ's death.  An act of God.  In John 19 as the Lord stood before Pilate he questioned the Lord with these words "Do you not realise that I have the power within my grasp to crucify you or to release you."  The Lord gave him the answer "you have no power whatsoever, the only power you have is that given of my father in heaven."  Jesus going to the cross was obeying God's eternal redemptive plan in heaven.  Peter on the day of Pentecost opened up the scriptures and spoke to great multitude of people.  "Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and and slain." (Acts 2 verse 23)   Jesus reminded the disciples on the Emmaeus road that it was God's plan.  They were confused and bewildered perhaps like many.  These 2 disciples felt Jesus had come to deliver them from the Roman oppressors.  Their hearts were heavy, their heads were bowed down, they were burdened and confused.  The Lord listened to them.  The Lord still listens to us today.  The Lord knew they were confused and heavy hearted.  He listened to their every word then he began to speak to them.  He opened up the word of God, took them back to the book of Moses, then to the prophets and to the psalms pointing out Jesus must be crucified and rise again.  Why that was the principle of death - for you and I to be saved through it and for him to be glorified.  In John 12 Jesus was sitting at the table when Mary comes with her little box of alabaster.  It was something very precious.  She understood something of why Jesus had come into the world.  That expensive and precious oil was sitting on her shelf for a special time.  This was the time.  She broke the box and anointed Jesus' feet.  The uproar started immediately.  The people thought of the price of it, the waste that had taken place.  Jesus said "let her alone."  Mary was looking to Christ's death, she knew the principle behind it.  A principle that is taught.

A purpose that was planned - to bring forth fruit from that death.  Seed dies, germinates, brings forth fruit.  Christ was dying to build the church.  Jesus once said "Thou art Peter and upon this rock I will build my church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." (Matthew 16 verse 18)  When you think of the first people who came to enquire of Jesus ("certain Greeks"), they asked "Sir we would see Jesus", they were coming with one specific purpose in mind.  Jesus could see the formation of the church.  His gospel would not only reach the Jewish nation but the Gentile as well.  Jesus came unto his own but they rejected him.  In Acts 15 we see a dispute arose.  Certain Gentile believers received the gospel for themselves but then there was a dispute as to how and what should happen to them to be accepted into the body of Christ.  Peter stood to verify his position then James spoke after.  "Men and brethren hearken unto me.  Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name."  James then reaches back to the portion of scripture "after this I will return adn will build again the tabernacl eof David, which is fallen down and I will build agin the ruins threof and I will set it up.  That the residue of men might seek aftr the Lord and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called." (Acts 15 verses 14 to 17)  Do you see the plan and purpose of God in all this?  "If there be no resurrection of the dead then is Christ not risen and if Christ be not risen then is our preachig in vain and your faith is also vain ... And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain, ye are yet in your sins.  But now is Christ risen from the dead and become the firstfuits of them that slept." (1 Corinthains 15 verses 13 to 17)  In the Old Testament scriptures it was a day of celebration when the harvest was ready to be brought in.  A sheaf of wheat was taken from the harvest field and waved before the people.  It was the firstfruits of the harvest.  Jesus rose from the grave to become the firstfruits.  There was a harvest yet to come.  Isaiah 53 verse 11 "He shall see of the travail of his soul and shall be satisfied, by his knowlege shall my righteous servant justify many, for he shall bear their iniquities."

A pattern to be followed.  Think of Jesus on the cross,  S ee those 5 wounds he bore,  his crown of thorns.  He allowed the Roman soldiers to hammer those nails into his hands and feet.  They lashed his back until it was like a ploughed field.  He did that for me.  I look at him and see him as a Saviour but what does he see of me today?  A rebellious, disobedient child or afollower of the Lamb who follows him where he is going, perfectly submitted to hsi will and way?  Are you coming to give your all to Christ today?  Jesus gave his life for me and we must give our lives to him.  Verses 25 - 26  is a summing up of a mans life.  "He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.  If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be; if any man serve me, him will my Father honour."  Is my life lived to get all I can out of this world or living to glorify Christ?  John the Baptist said of Jesus "he that cometh after me is mightier than I whose shoes I am not worthy to bear; he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire.  Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor and gather his wheat into the garner but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire." (Matthew 3 verses 11 and 12)  Paul said "I am crucified with Christ nevertheless I live, yet not I but Christ liveth in me and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God who loved me and gave himself for me" (Galatians 1 verse 20) Romans 12 verse 1 "I beseech you therefore, brethren by the mercies of God that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service."

No comments: