COLERAINE EVANGELICAL CHURCH
SERMON NOTES SUNDAY 27 SEPTEMBER 2026 – PASTOR LAWRENCE
KENNEDY
JOHN 10 VERSES 11 TO 29
Security is an important issue today. A vital issue for everyone. We have home security – dead bolts, locks, alarms, hidden cameras. All to keep us secure. We have travel insurance for security on holiday. That means when we arrive at the airport 2 hours before our flight, when we get into that snake queue and go through the airport security we don’t feel guilty before we even sit on the plane. Some planes now have air marshalls for added security. We want to have financial security particularly in these days when the cost of living is ever rising. We not only have home security, financial security and travel security but there is national security. Now they are even talking about cyber security, they tell us we should change our computer passwords every month to keep ourselves safe. Even our late queen was vulnerable when someone broke into the palace and again in another incident in Windsor Castle involving a man with a cross bow. All of those fade into insignificance when we consider spiritual security or eternal security. This touches at the very core of what we are as human beings. Because even though we're maybe in good health at the moment, there will come a point when health will fade and we will finish our time here on earth and we will go out into eternity that will last forever. And so eternal security is at the very core of what we are as human beings. Making sure all is well for the great eternity. The preacher in Ecclesiastes spoke about that in Ecclesiastes 3 verse 11. He said that God has set the world or God has set eternity in our hearts. There's something in us that is eternal, is God breathed. And that's why this world with all its amazing beauty and opportunities can never really satisfy us at the deepest level. There's always something missing. That is the eternity that God has put in our souls. Down through the centuries, theologians and preachers have debated this profound issue of eternal security. Is it possible to be saved and know it and rest on it to such a degree that we have no fear for eternity? We know that all is well. Whenever it comes, whatever happens, whatever the circumstances, we know that all is well for the great eternity. This is life's ultimate question.
In the passage before us this morning in John 10, the Lord Jesus introduces himself as the good shepherd who gave his life for the sheep. And in these verses, he says a lot about his sheep. He deals with this profound issue of eternal security. To summarize these verses in front of us this morning, I want to use three simple headings. I want to talk about his promise to the sheep. I want to talk about the problem with his sheep and I want to talk about the proof of his sheep.
First of all, then the promise to the sheep. The Lord
Jesus clearly states in verse 28 four words. He says “they shall never perish.”
He said this to all his sheep without exception. They shall never perish. This
is true of all his sheep regardless of church denomination. This is true of his
sheep regardless of colour or culture or country or century, they shall never
perish. This is true whatever their theological bent or whatever their
theological preference,
this is true regardless of where they fit into the
theological spectrum. It's true whether they're premillennialists or
amillennialists, reformed, Pentecostal or high Anglican. They shall never
perish. If you're a Christian this morning in Coleraine Evangelical, you should
be shouting hallelujah inside because this is the promise that God gives you as
one of his sheep. You shall never never never perish. Now notice, please, he
did not say that you would never get sick and die.
He did not say that you would never get into difficulty and make mistakes. He did not say that you would never doubt or struggle. He didn't even say that you would never wander or backslide. He didn't even say that you would never get cold spiritually and become carnal. He didn't even say that you would never be disobedient or murmur and complain. But he did say this, "Ye shall never perish." They can be a work in progress. I put my hand up to that work in progress. Or that we could be a negative and critical. They can say stupid things and hurt other believers. And they can be stubborn, unloving, and ungracious. And very unlike the Lord Jesus who they claim to love, they can be all those things, but they shall never perish. This is a glorious truth. Engrave it indelibly upon your heart. If you can truly say, "The Lord is my shepherd," then God can say of us, "you will never perish." We have a golden ticket to glory. We have what this world cannot give. We have what money cannot buy. All because of God's amazing love. All because of God's mercy and grace that draws us to repentance and trust. We used to sing a wee hymn years ago. “With Christ in the vessel, we can smile at the storm as we go sailing home.” Dear friend, in this shaky world with global uncertainty with Israel and Gaza and Iran and Ukraine and Russia and the Garvaghey Road and financial instability and politicians that really we wouldn't give much for, yet we have a bold confidence that for his sheep they shall never perish. Nobody can take it away. Doubt cannot erase it. Disease cannot remove it. Depression cannot abolish it. Dementia cannot dispel it. A demon cannot obliterate it. The devil can't detach it. Death can't take it away. Nothing can shake it. They shall never perish. Guaranteed by Almighty God. That's exactly what he promised in John 10 verse 28. “My sheep, I give unto them eternal life, and they shall never perish. Neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.” You see, not only does God purchase his flock, he guides his flock, he feeds his flock, he defends his flock, and he secures his flock. That is the promise to the sheep. If you're a Christian here this morning, you can rest assured that in spite of the chaos around the world and in spite of all the problems that will beset us and the uncertainties that lie ahead, we can underline this because we are his sheep, we shall never, never, never perish. The promise to the sheep.
But the second thing I want you to notice is the problem with the sheep. The most vital question must be this morning. If his sheep shall never perish, who are the sheep? Who are the sheep? You see, the Bible makes it very, very clear that many think that they're one of the sheep, but they're not. The Bible makes it very clear that that people think all is well when all is not well. The Bible makes it clear that Satan's master tactic is deceiving people into thinking they're one of his sheep when they're not. And I could spend time this morning looking at different pastures. We could go to the sermon on the mount just north of Tiberias there and the slopes coming down to Galilee. And the Lord took his disciples out there to give him a sermon which was called the sermon on the mount. And there in Matthew 7, he says that “people will say to me in that day, we prophesied in your name and we cast out demons and we did many wondrous works. But the Lord will say to them, "I never knew you." Wow. They thought they were sheep. They did all the sheep things. They did all the things that sheep were expected to do. They prophesied in his name. They cast out demons. They did many wondrous works. There was the miraculous going on. And yet the Lord reveals not only he doesn't know them, he never knew them. There never was a moment when they were one of his sheep. Or I could go this to Paul writing to the church at Corinth. 2 Corinthians in chapter 13 verse 5. He's writing to sheep. He's writing to the church of Corinth. But he said to them, "Examine yourselves whether ye be in the faith. Prove your own selves." Paul was aware that some in Corinth maybe thought they were sheep, but they weren't. And he said to them in writing his epistle under inspiration, he says, "Examine yourself. Go around the foundations. Make sure you be in the faith. Prove your own selves. Make sure it's real. Make sure it's genuine. Make sure it's not just your thinking and a lifestyle choice. Or we could go back to Matthew 7 whenever the Lord said to that group on the hillside, "Ye shall know them by their fruits. There'll be evidence." So scripture makes it very clear that it is possible to be sincere. It's possible to be earnest and honest, but in reality be self deceived.It's the problem with the sheep. This is the ultimate problem because hell is real and judgment for sin is sure. And so we have to be really really careful that that we are really one of the sheep. And I go about different churches every Sunday and people will say to me, "Well, I prayed the sinner's prayer." I wonder where they find that in the Bible. Not there. Or I filled in a decision card. That's not found in the Bible either. I'm involved in church and have a testimony. Is that what it is? I grew up in church. I knew the verses. I memorized verses because you got money when you memorize them and I wanted the money. But I wasn't one of God's sheep. I knew the language. I knew the hymns. I knew the verses. I knew the Bible stories. But I wasn't saved. I wasn't one of a sheep. And hell will be full of people who thought all was well when all wasn't well. You're with me so far. The promise to the sheep, they shall never perish. golden ticket. If you're one of his sheep, he gives you that promise. The problem with the sheep, the problem of self-deception.
Let me come on to the third one. The proof of his sheep.
How does God define his sheep? How does he talk about his sheep? Because if he
defines it, then we can tick the boxes and we'll know before we leave this
morning whether or not we're really one
of his sheep. If you read John 10 carefully, I believe you'll discover four
criteria that provide indelible proof that you're one of God's sheep. The first
one is this. They believe in Jesus. That's obvious, isn't it?
So, it's basic. Now, now be careful because whenever you go to the Epistle of James chapter 2, you find that the devil believes in Jesus, and he's certainly not one of the sheep. No, but look at verse 24 that we read. “Then came the Jews round about him and said unto him, How long dust thou make us to doubt? If thou be the Christ, tell us plainly.” Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believe not. The works that I do in my father's name, they bear witness of me, but ye believe not because you're not of my sheep. So the Lord is saying to them, you don't believe because you're not my sheep. Because by implication, he's saying, "My sheep believe me. My sheep believe what I tell them. They believe in their sinfulness and helplessness. They believe in who Jesus Christ is, the second person of the Holy Trinity, God's son, his perfect lamb, his perfect sacrifice. They believe the miracles. They believe in his purpose and plan of redemption. They believe in the cross work of Calvary, that atoning sacrifice and the resurrection. They believe in his love and mercy and grace to redeem a sinful man or woman or young person and they believe John 3 verse 3, “except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” These beliefs are not dry liturgy. They're not just Protestant heritage. This is speaking about personal transforming encounter with the God of heaven. I believe him. I believe whatever he says. I believe that he is God's son. He is my rock. He is my foundation. He's my security. He's my substitute. There's no grey area. I believe it from verse one to the last verse in the Bible. From Genesis through to Revelation. I believe it with all my heart. It's personal. It's transforming. It's an encounter with the God of heaven. Did you tick the box? Did you say, "That's me. I believe in him. He's my Savior. I believe every word that's in the word of God. I embrace it. If I don't understand it, well that's because my knowledge is limited. But I still believe it. I believe it even when it doesn't seem to make sense to me at the moment. I believe it even though I can't rationalize it. I believe it because it's there. I believe.” Not only do they believe in Jesus, but criteria number two, they listen to Jesus. Verse 27, “my sheep hear my voice and I know them and they follow me.” They listen to Jesus. You can identify the genuine spiritual sheep because not only they genuinely believe in Jesus Christ, but they start to listen to Jesus Christ. “My sheep hear my voice.” Sometimes it comes like a whisper, like a still small voice whispering into the conscience. Remember Elijah when he made his journey to Horeb, the mount of God and God wasn't in the earthquake and he wasn't in the wind and the storm. No, he was in the still small voice. “What doest thou hear, Elijah?” Sometimes he comes with a roar like a lion roaring in your heart. That's how the prophet Amos got it. He was from Tekoa down in Judah and he was called to preach to the people up in Israel. And he says, "I'm not a prophet or the son of a prophet. I am a farmer and the keeper of fig trees. But one day the lion of Judah roared and I had to obey.” In my life, many a time it's the still small voice and other times it's like a megaphone from heaven. Tell me when last did you hear the voice of God? It frightens me that some believers, professing believers that I speak to, look at me as if have horns. They never hear the voice of God. I would be worried if a day went past and I didn't hear his voice. Text so and so. Contact so and so. Pray for so and so constantly. Not because I'm special, but I'm listening for his voice. And the number of times that I send a wee text message or I make contact and they're just waiting for someone to ring or someone to contact and I say, "Thank you, Lord, to for speaking into the circumstances.” We listen to Jesus. Sometimes it's a pang of guilt. Sometimes it's a balm to the soul. Sometimes it's an arm to strengthen. You start to listen to Jesus. You start to listen to what he says in discipleship. You start to listen to what he says on worship. You start to listen to what he says on holiness. You start to listen to what he says on baptism and fellowship and membership and money and marriage. What does the Lord say? I remember some years ago some of the young people used to go about with bracelets WWJD - What would Jesus do? Not a bad philosophy. Why? Because his sheep believe in Jesus and they listen to Jesus. Now, you might not do it perfectly. The best of Christians stumble and struggle at times, but you listen to him honestly, diligently, continually. You listen for his voice. As you read the word of God, it's not just to fill in a quiet time and say you've done it for the day, but you're listening for his voice. When last did you hear his voice? Do you remember Matthew 17, the mount of transfiguration? And Peter, James, and John are with the Lord on the mount. Do you remember? And the voice came out of the cloud and said, "This is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased. Listen to him. Hear ye him.” Why? Because God's sheep not only believe in Jesus, they listen to Jesus. Something else. Criteria number four. You're ticking the wee boxes? They believe in Jesus. And not only believe in Jesus, but they listen to Jesus. Thirdly, they know Jesus. Look at verse 14. “I am the good shepherd and know my sheep and am known of mine.” Spiritual sheep have instilled within them a desire to know Jesus better. The Apostle Paul was known as Saul of Tarsus before he got saved. He was on the Damascus road heading to Damascus to persecute the church and to incarcerate them. You'll read about his testimony in Acts chapter 9, Acts chapter 22, and Galatians 1. Since that great conversion when he fell and met with the with Jesus Christ in resurrected glory, 30 years have come and gone. He has written most of our New Testament. He has planted churches throughout Asia taking the gospel to the Gentiles. He's a powerful theologian and yet he reveals after 30 years on the road with the Saviour, he reveals the longing of his heart. In Philippians 3 verse 10, he says, "That I might know him and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of his sufferings being made conformable unto his death." You see, Paul is teaching us that the that longing to know God better, to know Jesus better, is one of the marks of a real spiritual sheep – “that I might know him.” Tell me, do you know him better in 2026 than you knew him in 2025? Do you know him better this Sunday than last Sunday? Not in a superficial bland way but personally, intimately, powerfully. In 1912 Charles Austin Miles wrote
I come to the garden alone.
While the dew is still on the roses
and the voice I hear falling on my ear,
the son of God discloses
And he walks with me and he talks with me
And he tells me that I am his own
And the joy we share as we tarry there
none other have ever known.
I can tell you honestly, I wish I knew Jesus better. I feel
like the Apostle Paul. “Oh that I might know him and the power of his resurrection
and the fellowship of his sufferings.” Just as a new baby cries out for food,
so a new sheep, a new Christian has a hunger and a thirst for God. The promise
of the sheep, they shall never perish. The problem with the sheep, the problem
of self-deception. It's possible to think you're a sheep when you're not. And
the north of Ireland is full of it. We have developed a Christianity light
where you don't need repentance and you don't need commitment and you don't
need to pray and you don't you just it's a lifestyle choice. It's from the pit
of hell. The proof of his sheep. They believe in Jesus. They listen to Jesus. They
want to know Jesus. Fourthly, they follow Jesus. Look at verse 4 “And he
putteth forth his own sheep. He goeth before them, and the sheep follow him,
for they know his voice.” Verse 27, “my sheep hear my voice and I know them and
they follow me.”
It is impossible to be a Christian and not a disciple. Every Christian, if they're genuine, will follow Jesus. And that's what a disciple is, a follower. It's not just a one-off event. It's not just ticking a box. It’s a life of following him and listening to him and knowing him and believing him. One of the characteristics of being a sheep is that they follow. Following Jesus takes priority and time. It takes priority and energy. It takes priority in finance and passion and prayer. W C Martin in the early 1900s wrote,
Where he may lead me, I will go,
For I have learned to trust him so
And I remember it was for me
That he was slain on Calvary.
Where he may lead me, I will go.
Followers, real sheep follow Jesus. Do you remember whenever the Lord Jesus was calling his disciples in Matthew 4 verse 19 he said, "Follow me and I will make you fishers of men." And they left their nets and they followed him. Are you following him?
The promise to the sheep - they shall never never never
never never perish.
The problem with the sheep - the problem of selfdeception.
The proof of the sheep, they believe in Christ. They hear Christ. They know Christ. And they follow Christ.
Easy? No. Boring? No. Costly? Yes. Is it worth it? And they shall never perish. One day faith will give way to sight. “And the lamb shall be all the glory in Emmanuel's land.”
And by and by when I look on his face
I'll wish I'd given him more more.
So much more more of my life
than I ever gave before.
By and by, when I look on his face,
I’ll wish I'd given them more.
Eternal security promise. Yeah. They shall never perish. Guaranteed.
Even people I wouldn't agree with. Even people I wouldn't meet in a Sunday
with. But if they're one of his sheep, then they have the promise. The problem
with the sheep, self-deception. And we have a generation coming up who seem to
be self-deceived. The proof of the sheep. They believe in Jesus. They hear
Jesus. They know Jesus. And they follow Jesus.

No comments:
Post a Comment