Sunday 23 July 2023

Psalm 139

 


LIMAVADY INDEPENDENT METHODIST CHURCH

SERMON NOTES FROM SUNDAY 23 JULY 2023

SPEAKER: MR JEFFREY FERGUSON, ACRE GOSPEL MISSION

Psalm 139

Verses 1 to 6 – The Lord knows all there is to know about us.

“O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known me.  Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.  Thou compassest my path and my lying down and art acquainted with all my ways.  For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether.  Thou hast beset me behind and before and laid thine hand upon me.  Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.”

Isn’t it amazing to think that the God of the universe knows even you.  There are 8 billion people on this earth today but God knows them all.  He knows every detail of every person that has ever lived.  Every second there are 4 babies born into this world.  God knows them all. He knows when a little sparrow falls to the ground.  He knows our coming in and going out, our movements, our thoughts, the words even before they are on our tongue.  He knows our inner most thoughts.  He knows me in a way no-one else can know as a human.  We can describe the human characteristics of someone we know, even their personalities and sometimes intimate knowledge but there are limits.  We don’t know the thoughts on someone’s mind or their unspeakable fears that they might have.  Sometimes we hear the expression “I thought I knew that person but now I see a different side to them.”  We cannot understand that – it is infinite. We talk about God as omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent.  God is all those and more.  He knows every problem we have, all the things that trouble us.  As our great heavenly father he knows what we need.  Can we really say we know everything there is to know about our family members?  Even as parents we don’t know every thought or worry our children have.  God knows though.  We can leave every care with him knowing he understands.  That can be a blessing but also a warning.  God knows your thoughts and deeds but maybe there are things you wish no-one else knew about it – remember God knows them.

 

Verses 7 – 12 there is no place we can hide from God

“Whither shall I go from thy spirit? Or whither shall I flee from thy presence?”  If I ascend up into heaven thou art here; if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.  If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;  Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.  If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.  Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.”

As Christians this should give us a sense of security and hope.  He is present every day of work, every place we go to. We cannot hide from him.  Many things overwhelm us but we should not be afraid.  Equally no matter where we run from God he is there.  Sometimes we don’t like this idea of being constantly watched.  We hear a lot today about Artificial Intelligence, the idea of being constantly watched.  That no matter where we go in life there are security cameras watching our every move.  It is amazing to see how technology has advanced so much.  As humans we want our privacy.  We grow suspicious of people knowing too much.  God sees all things.  There is no hiding from him.  Rather than being suspicious of God, his presence conveys to us the immense care and love God has for us.  God can lead us by his will.  We can be led by him.  Our natural inclination is to hide from God.  That comes from Adam and Eve hiding from God in the Garden of Eden.  If our sins have been forgiven today we no longer need to run from God.  We see in these verses a picture of love and care.  It is like a shepherd who looks after the sheep.  In Jesus’ day the shepherd would go before his sheep to lead them and then at night he would bring them into the sheepfold.  He himself would lie at the door protecting them from every danger.  Or think of the scene with a mother hen and her chicks.  She would protect them by ensuring they never left her side too far so that when the threat of danger came they could run to her and hid under her wings.  We can take encouragement from these verses today – God’s hand is on us day by day.

 

Verses 13 – 16 God knew you before you were born

“For thou hast possessd my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother’s womb.  I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.  My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.  Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.”

These verses offer an amazing insight as to how God saw us even before we were born.  A wonderful picture of how we were created.  As human beings God had a plan to knit us together.  Our DNA, the very detail in our cells holds the information needed for life.  Every small detail is accounted for.  As we go through the world today many will be told it all happened by a big bang, it took years to form.  Doctors and scientists will say that we are just a formation of cells that one day will become a baby.  That takes away from the sanctity of life.  It takes away the idea of worth, that our lives do not count in any way.  Jeremiah 1 verse 5 says “before I formed thee in the womb I knew you.”  He knew you before you came into existence.  He has set us apart for himself.  He gave us a soul which will live for ever.  Today babies are being killed in the womb, old people are pushed to one side in society.  Life is so precious, so much so that Jesus came into the world to die for our sins.  He paid the price for sin so that if we accept Christ for ourselves we can be a partaker of a new heaven and a new earth one day.  God knows us inside out.  He knows how long we will live.  He will be our guide in life if we place him first and foremost. 

 

Verse 17 and 18 “How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God: how great is the sum of them.  If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.”

We can never understand the vastness of God’s knowledge.  Even with all that knowledge he has time to think of us individually.  We need to trust him to work in our lives and allow his plans to work themselves out in ours.

 

Verses 19 – 22 The Psalmist writes about the wicked.

“Surely thou wilt slay the wicked, O God: depart from me therefore, ye bloody men.  For they speak against thee wickedly and thine enemies take thy name in vain.  Do not I hate them, O LORD, that hate thee? And am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?  I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.”

David the Psalmist was exposed to the enemy many times.  He had to face many battles.  Here he unburdens his heart to God.  He was crying out and lamenting the situation he was in.  He knew that his enemies wanted to hate him.  He also knew he had a great God and the victory would be his.  In our lives we can call to the Lord for his protection.  We will face many different battles but the Lord will be there to fight each one for us.  God is the one who can defeat our enemies.  David was asking the Lord to step in and slay the wicked.  We know we have no strength in ourselves.  We depend on God to fight our battles.  David did not want to be a part of what his enemies wanted to achieve.  Do we set ourselves apart from what we know is wrong.  Or are we happy to join in with sinful things.  We can see how God will deal with the wicked in the last days.  They will receive God’s ultimate judgement.  God will have the victory.  Without Jesus as Saviour no-one will escape the righteous judgment of God.  We can have assurance and hope in God if we are his today.

 

Verse 23 the Psalmist wants God to look at his life and see where improvement can be made

“Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:  And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.”

That is how we can grow as Christians.  God will reveal to us over time in reading his word areas of our lives that need to be changed.  David wants to be right before God.  David asks God to examine his very thoughts to see if anything needs to be changed.  What a lesson for us.  We need to ask God to help us to live each day that is pleasing for God.  When we are open to God, giving correction in our lives then this is how we will grow more and more.  God is the Father and he loves us, views us as his child.  He is ready and willing to receive his children.  God is waiting to forgive you.  God knows you, who you are.  Let it be an encouragement to our hearts and challenge us to live for him.

No comments: